Friday, May 7, 2010

"as I get more involved, I know that I am recovering"

This week I've again helped S. to learn how to chair a meeting.  The format that we follow allows for an introduction, a sharing part, an exercise session, and a free-for-all part for games and conversation.
It's not hard but it requires keeping track of the time.
So I brought my kitchen wall-clock.
It requires that you invest in a pen. A small binder would help too, especially something you can strap over your shoulder. I am still the only one who carries something similar to meetings.
Next week I am going to hide it.  See if the family-overprotected members will start participating, rather than sitting to see what they can get out of the meeting by doing nothing.
Last week we had one of the bus drivers actually wait until our game of concentration was over before yanking our wheel-chair participants into the bus.  Three letters to Durham transit and a visit from their manager accomplished nothing.  Getting some of our very passive riders to complain, --ya complain to the driver-- actually worked.  Of course some of our riders are so passive that they didn't even notice the change.  Can't really tell if they were like this before their stroke; but it doesn't matter, really. Respect is owed to them, even if some of our seniors still act as if they should not make waves; thinking that, after all, they are the "unfortunate ones". They have a very faint idea that they have rights and obligations even as disabled people.
The bright side is that as I get more involved, I know that I am recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers